Monday, May 6, 2013

Promised myself I wouldn't cry

What a week we've had weather wise, maybe I literally get sick of the cold weather? Mentally for sure but physically is that possible?

Lets keep this positive, my deep depression that was April and not racing is over and I finally swung my leg over some bikes to race.

Wednesday, May 1 where my first race of the season was also where I first raced ever, a midweek wednesday nighter at Coulson Hill in Bradford. Not a "big" race but the spok o motion guys showed up looking fit. 1st lap had me in a spot of bother, Steve Prosser (woodnewton sen ex winner) put down a good effort and opened up a healthy gap. I was able to bring it down and go by. So nice to finally be back racing bikes.

Did some nice MTB rides this week in copeland and sugarbush and "other", trails are already super sandy, but its better than a couple feet of snow. Even got my friend Krista out into the copeland she didn't like the roots that made her "tires go sideways" and only swore at me once so it was good.





Sunday I rolled over to the oro interclub for to race all the local strava competitors, where we put down the garmins and raced head to head, its a crazy idea.( *don't be silly we still raced with our garmins)

I was aboard the nicest road bike I have ever ridden, Di2 Tactic with some C50's from Shimano, my dream of finally seeing what the fuss is about with carbon wheels has come true. They're pretty sweet, they make cool sounds, accelerate great, and seem to like to hold a highish speed. Road racers might be onto something...

With my Norco Teammate Bretton sleeping in, I aligned myself with AWI racing to go up against the teams from Bikeland and Velocity

The powers that be gave group 4 a 5 minute gap back to us in group 5. I guess 90 seconds isn't enough when you have 20 guys in a group. I honestly wasn't sure if we'd catch. But we worked very well together and managed to avg 42-43kph for the first 3 laps to bring the gap down to a minute. Then the games began, guys start sitting on the back, nobody pulls through. So I gave her a go to see if I could get across by myself. No dice AWI racer Jacob M, chased me down with all the Velocity guys in tow. #notteamwork

Took another lap to close that final gap, so one lap to go and it was pretty much all back together. Up the 4th I was pretty much stuck on the front, with Rob H on my wheel. I hit the gas hard to string it out up the few rollers there are on the 4th. And a gap suddenly formed, weird how that happens, don't attack just up the pace and they let you ride away, attack and everyone chases you like a dog, must be some sort of evolutionary hunting mechanism.

Once the gap was a few seconds I really hit the gas to open it up and try to make it stick. About 8 km to go. Looking back I could see the 50 or so racers fanned across the road so I knew they weren't crushing it. Gap grew to point where I couldn't make out who was who but apparently Jacob sat on the front and just cruised. #teamwork

Felt really good and strong until I turned south on the 7th for the last 2-3 km to the finish, straight into a headwind. It was all I could do to hold 38kph. I was pretty sure I'd get caught but the gap held steady and I was able to crest the final climb with some distance to the group and roll over the line.
Big high five to Nathan Jeffs who rolled in for 2nd, an athlete I work with who has put in a lot of hard work and has improved a TON over the past 12 months.

41.5kph avg, not bad for a club race.

Post race I rolled over to Hardwood Ski and Bike for their annual demo day where Norco was setup along with a bunch of other manufacturers and shops. Lots of bikes going in and out, so much to choose from these days as well, 10 years ago a demo day would have been a bunch of 26 inch hardtails with v-brakes, now there's dualy's 650b's 26ers, 29ers. 100mm 120mm 140mm lots of options to suit your riding.
Afterwards we hit sugar bush for a tour of the new stuff, always nice to show some folks some new trail they've never ridden before, isnt that what MTBing is all about?




No comments: