Monday, April 28, 2008



It’s a snowy Monday morning so I thought I would spend the a.m. hours(yes it takes me hours to write these) to write up a little post race debrief. As the wet snow falls Starbuck and I are chillin on the couch sipping a fine cup of instant coffee. Yesterday was the first Ontario Cup race of the season held at the best spring venue in Ontario, Mansfield outdoor center.
The weekend started with turning a couple laps Friday afternoon, one with new singlespeeder Matt McCartney where he laid down some smack. To sum up in one word the course was fast, with great flow.
Saturday I just did a ride from home to double check the bike was working properly. Then I put my feet up and watched Tony Stewart show Jr. how to finish a race. Followed by episode 4 of the final season of Battlestar, which just keeps getting better and better, although darker and darker, but bottom line the best show on television. There is no doubt.
Sunday we loaded up the Windstar and headed over to the race. Even though we had some new rowdy neighbors move in two doors down who kept me up all night, I felt rested. Arriving at around noon I got "kitted up" in my BCC stuff for my first MTB race as a BCC racer. I warmed up with Shane and new addition to the city of Barrie Kyle Fry. Then we headed to the start line where I quickly noticed last years overall winner Derrick Zandstra was not there, something about him eating Belgian waffles or something. Also sophomore senior racer Zach "attack" Winn was absent, as he has not made it back from School in the states yet. Though returning to Ontario Cup racing was Matt Martindill, so we still had a very strong field.
My race plan was basically ride hard till I blow up, with that in mind I started off at a good clip and found myself leading up the first climb and into the first singletrack. By the second lap it was still myself leading with Adam Morka on my wheel which is basically how we rode the last 4 laps. I think he may have had a chain hooked up to my seatpost or something. I kept my pace redlined wondering a) if I was going to blow and b) when Adam was going to pull out and attack me. Neither of which happened and it came down to a "sprint" through a bunch of 180 corners which basically made it impossible to actually sprint. And I was rewarded at the finish line with nice cold chocolate milk. Not to mention with a wicked leaders jersey to wear at the next Ontario Cup at Albion hills in two weeks. (see pic)
Well my coffee is gone and the snow has stopped so I think ill go buy some actual coffee. But before that I have to thank my team manager/feeder Maria. Also the Ruppel brothers along with the whole Chico racing crew for once again putting on a great event. And I also want to wish a speed recovery to Andy Willing.
Quote of the race


"way to go Mike"
"I’m Adam"


"good ride Mike"
"I’m Adam"


"go get em Mike"
"I’m Adam"





2 comments:

Darren said...

Sweeet.. nice job Watson!

robb@astroboy.net said...

awesome job Andrew, congrats on the 1st of many this season!